The pair of orange clamps are held onto a special mortising jig via threaded rod, the red inset image is a variation on the design but what are they called and where can you get them from?


This clamp is one type of a "Hold Down Clamp". Some types are direct bolt on clamps like this one:

enter image description here

Other types similar to the one that you pictured are designed to slip into the flanged head of a pin that pops up through a hole in the work bench.

enter image description here Here is a picture of one in action where you can clearly see it engaging the pin coming up from the work surface. In this case notice that the work surface has an arrayed set of the attachment points.

enter image description here

When used on a work surface as shown above this type of clamp has a great advantage of being able to be used rotated around 360 degrees.

Be aware that this type of clamp has has dropped out of favor in more modern times and are hard to find. You could try this link or this link.

The Original Hold Down Clamp (Holdfast), tap with a mallet to set, tap with a mallet to release.

enter image description here

  • Somewhat offtopic, what clamps or clamping methods have replaced its original utility? – Adam Davis Jun 4 '15 at 14:14
  • @AdamDavis In the dog hole use-cases, holdfasts (which you set and release with a hammer) have started to surge in popularity due to their ease of use. In other applications, various types of quick clamps and gear clamps and cam clamps are popular. Various types of permanently-attached bench vises, as well as removable Moxon vises, are also popular. – rob Jun 4 '15 at 14:22
  • Holdfasts, what's old is new again... – Fiasco Labs Jun 4 '15 at 14:30
  • Thank you Michael, very through and helpful answer. The picture I posted was from an article in 'Fine Woodworking' where they are used to hold the item to be mortised with a plunge router. – AndrewB Jun 5 '15 at 5:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.