House was built in 1958, the pipe is in good shape except for the small rusting now leaking nail size spot. I tried rustoleum, that is not helping. will epoxy work?

  • Need picture... always. Jun 2, 2015 at 22:39
  • Any idea what caused the hole ?
    – mikes
    Jun 3, 2015 at 0:41

2 Answers 2


Epoxy is unlikely to make a lasting repair. What you need is a pipe repair clamp, which is a stainless steel band with a rubber gasket inside it - the "in place repair" type have a beveled overlapping edge so the clamp can be opened up and slipped onto the pipe, then clamped in place to seal the leak. They look similar to the "hubless coupling" clamps but those typically use a gasket that needs to have the pipe cut to slip onto it.

  • You also need a picture.
    – Mazura
    Jun 3, 2015 at 1:31
  • Trying to avoid appearing to endorse, shill or spam anyone's particular product, since there are darn few pictures of the things that are not from someone's catalog/website. Image searching the term is pretty effective.
    – Ecnerwal
    Jun 3, 2015 at 1:55
  • 2
    This is the proper temporary fix, but the corrosion will continue to grow. The only permanent fix is replacement of the section (but other areas of pipe may fail later on. That's part of the fun of cast iron.
    – Ben
    Jun 3, 2015 at 2:40

I assume your leak is something along the lines of the following:

leak  in cast iron pipe

Even though the hole may look small on the outside, it is like a tooth cavity, the corrosion on the inside is much larger. In most cases, even a small leak is an indication that the entire pipe needs to be replaced.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.