I bought a headboard that I'd like to just stain darker without going through the whole stripping/sanding process. Is there a product or method that is best for this?


You can use "furniture glaze" (pretty much a tinted "clear" finish.)

You could tint/dye a clear finish, or use a naturally tinted "clear" finish such as dark shellac.

For both of those you'd likely need to at least scuff-sand the current finish to get good adhesion.

You can also use a colored/tinted furniture wax over the current finish.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.