Probably a dumb question, but I'm having trouble determining if these walls are orange peel or knockdown textures. The first two photos below are in the same room, but at the minimum seem like completely different consistencies for the texture. The last photo is a different room in the house.

For the second photo, it looks like orange peel to me, while the first and last I can go either way. Anyone with more experience care to educate me? Thanks!

Wall 3 Wall 2 Wall 1


Top two are orange peel, bottom is knockdown. You can tell that it's knockdown by the presence of the large flat areas (where it was "knocked down" with a trowel).

  • 1
    Agree about numbers 2 and 3. Might think maybe that 1 is another knockdown. – Aloysius Defenestrate May 15 '15 at 3:56
  • Agree with @AloysiusDefenestrate that 1 and 3 are knockdown (also sometimes called brocade). 2 is orange peel – guitarthrower May 15 '15 at 14:58

Honestly the only one that is clearly done right is the 3rd one being splatter knockdown.

  1. Looks like heavy orange peel texture and it was sanded and knocked down. In some areas the texture has runs probably from being too wet when sprayed.
  2. Looks like orange peel without enough texture sprayed on.
  3. Clearly splatter knockdown and was done properly.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.