My fiance and I are currently renting an apartment in Baltimore, MD and recently we have become alarmed by much of the house's wiring. Things we have seen included:
- countless wires that are spliced together outside of electrical boxes
- wires spliced together with only electrical tape inside electrical boxes
- wires spliced together with only electrical tape outside of an electrical box
- wires that are black spliced to wires that are white
- single wires running from one electrical box to another (i.e. only hot or only neutral)
- loose wires laying in the back of our cabinets
- wires pinned (and chafed) between our oven and sharp corners of the cabinetry
- lighting fixtures that are wired in series instead of parallel
- twisted pairs without any sort of jacket running from one fixture to another
A lot of this was here when we arrived but we have personally observed a couple fixes entailing several of the bullet points above within the last few months.
I don't think that there is any combination of grandfathering in and loopholes that could result in this setup being up to code but are things like this common in older(early 1900's) houses? We've brought it up with our land lord but he hasn't taken any significant action to correct the issues. Would it be excessively paranoid to insist that someone inspect the place? If not what type of inspection should we ask for?