We removed a wall to make a kitchen bigger - to use as an eating area.

The kitchen has vinyl flooring, which we are now changing to porcelain tiles.

The way it is now, there is about 1/2 inch rise on the kitchen side.

How can we cover the space where the wall was, so that the floors will be mostly level?

  • Welcome to Home Improvement. It sounds like you need to lay 1/2" chipboard in the "new" area - If you could edit a photo into the question, it would probably help people understand the situation better. Apr 26 '15 at 10:51

My carpenter's solution was simply to bridge the gap with a threshold, with its underside cut differentially to compensate for the difference. Having a clearly raised area between the two, with slopes on either side, is less likely to be a trip hazard than a smaller but sharper transition.

photo of lr threshold showing contour


You have two options: Raise the lower floor by covering it in cementboard or plywood (depending on what you plan to cover it in, if you're planning to re-do it), or keep the floors at differing heights and use a transition piece like the one keshlam posted to hide it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.