I'm running a hydrogen gas system that's below 15 psi. All of my fittings are Push-to-Connect fittings of either 3/16", 1/4", or 5/16" OD from SMC. What sort of tubing can I use with this?

Would everyday hardware store vinyl tubing work fine? Nylon tubing? ATP Vinyl-Flex PVC? I can't find any literature about this on the SMC website.

  • Are the push fittings themselves compatible with H gas? Commented Jan 7, 2020 at 15:44

2 Answers 2


You need to use tubing that is rated for hydrogen gas. McMaster-Carr may have some. Likely you'll have to use stainless steel or an exotic plastic like teflon. Normal hardware-store tubing will react, possibly violently, when used with such fluids/gasses in them. If you're cracking water into hydrogen / oxygen, that line will need to also be customized for carrying mostly pure oxygen.

  • What about copper or black iron? The former at least can be used with push fittings. Commented Jan 7, 2020 at 15:44

I have only ever used more rigid plastics like polyethylene tubing with push to connect tubing. I would not trust vinyl, as it's soft and tends to creep more. In that vein, I'd say nylon is ok too. I'm unfamiliar with that type. Of pvc.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.