I moved into a house. There is one vinyl window with a problem. If you unlatch the window, the top half drops like a guillotine. Smash. I'm surprised it isn't broken yet. None of the other windows in the house do this.

I don't see any place where there would be a spring or counter-balance mechanism. Do I just need to get the whole thing replaced, or is there a way to take this apart? If I can DiY this thing, then how would I service it and where would I find parts (usually without knowing the part names, every web search seems to take you to Microsoft's web site... for windows).


Many single and double-hung vinyl windows have "spiral sash balances". An internet search of that term will reveal a lot of info. They are replaceable but it is not simple, and finding the right size can be a challenge also. If the windows are old consider a DIY replacement of the entire window unit with an easily installed block frame replacement window.

enter image description hereenter image description here

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.