What is a 'murphy bar'?

Googling it, I found it mainly as a drinking bar; a liquor cabinet that folds down, like a Murphy bed.

Is it just a generic (dis-used?) term for prying under something to move it? I've heard tell of crow-bar like tools with wheels on them for this purpose and I'd swear I've seen them in catalogs. Am I using the wrong name?


It's a long wooden bar, about 5' long, about 2" round at the top, tapering larger to about 6"x2" oval at the bottom, with (usually) steel wheels, and a steel "lever" at the bottom. Kind of like the design of a hand-truck.

It's used for moving or shifting heavy items.

I agree, images are impossible to find.

Edit: Found one:

Pulled from Granger.com

Search for "Pry Bar Lever Dollies" and you'll get all the Murphy bars you can handle. lol

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.