I'm getting ready to repair a small dry rot spot in my bathroom floor and am conflicted on which product to use.

When I visited my local big box store, they had a couple options:

1) High Performance Wood Filler:

enter image description here

2) Premixed Patch n'Level:

enter image description here

What's the difference between these two types of products? When is it appropriate/recommended to use one over the other?


The leveling compound pictured is used underneath a finish floor. The minwax/ bondo solution would provide a durable fix that you could walk on. So I guess it depends on whether you'll throw something over the top of the fix...

  • At this point I'm just planning to buy some time until the next bathroom remodel. Planning to just put a vinyl patch over it for now. – Mike B Mar 14 '15 at 23:58
  • DEFINITELY use the Minwax filler. It will be much more resistant to the moist conditions presented by the location of your patch. That leveling compound is not resistant to moisture. – Jimmy Fix-it Mar 15 '15 at 22:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.