I know that standard incandescent bulbs in the US use Edison screw bases, but I'm not sure which designation / number is the one which is used for prolific non-candelabra 120 volt fixtures.

  • The US uses a 120V system, not 110. – Tester101 Mar 15 '15 at 2:14

The US 120 volt screw base is an E26. The 'E' indicates an Edison screw base and 26 is the diameter in millimeters.

Source: Wikipedia (footnote 3)

In 120-volt North America and 100-volt Japan, the standard size for general-purpose lamps is E26


For those who like to do things the hard way, it is also 7004-21A-2 (From IEC Standard sheet 60061-1 (of course)

The E26 is the 'standard' for 110 Volt systems and the E27 is the standard for 220 Volt systems. (The E27 being IEC 7004-21)

  • 2
    Really? There's only 1mm difference in diameter? That may well be the explanation for why standard light bulbs sold in the U.S, for several years now, have often had such a miserable, "tight" fit in lampholders! – kreemoweet Mar 15 '15 at 7:43
  • 1
    In the UK, they (E27, E14) are often just called ES (Edison Screw) or SES (Small Edison Screw) - in contrast to BC (Bayonet Cap) and SBC (Small Bayonet Cap). – RedGrittyBrick Mar 16 '15 at 15:20
  • 1
    @kreemoweet: I'd guess E26 is 1" and E27 is 1 1/16". "The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it." - Thomas Edison :-). – RedGrittyBrick Mar 16 '15 at 15:24
  • Furlongs per fortnight as always been my unit speed. I did learn recently about the unit of property measure, the 'chain' there being 10 square chains in an acre. (Which makes each chain a furlong, of course) – Some Guy Mar 16 '15 at 15:40

protected by Community Mar 18 '15 at 3:42

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.