What if I want to run all new wiring in my house and also replace a panel.
Is there a way to disconnect main line somehow before it comes to the panel?


You need to call your utility company and have them come and disconnect the meter.

To re-install it, they will likely require the new panel has passed inspection, so be sure to check and coordinate that as well.

  • 4
    Just anecdotal: I do a lot of stuff myself, but I paid an electrician to replace my panel at a previous house. He knew the hydro crew and inspector on a first-name basis. The inspector was in and out in all of 5 minutes, and when ready, called one of the hydro crew guy's cell phones directly and they basically showed up a few minutes after the inspector left. Cost me a few hundred dollars, but the whole thing was done in an afternoon and power was back on before my wife was home from work.
    – gregmac
    Mar 11 '15 at 18:58
  • Is that what electricians do? Why aren't there some readily usable switch between the meter and the panel? wouldn't that be more convenient?
    – Dannyboy
    Mar 11 '15 at 18:58
  • 5
    If there is an extra switch, what do you do if you need to replace that switch? Have another switch for the switch? :) There has to be a demarcation between owner and utility at some point -- and that point is the meter.
    – gregmac
    Mar 11 '15 at 19:24
  • 8
    @Dannyboy: If you are not a trained electrician, you should never do work on anything electrical prior to the main breaker. Without that breaker, there is nothing to save your life if you make a mistake. Call an electrician. Mar 11 '15 at 20:05
  • 1
    Also a bit overkill, IMHO. Really, how often do you need to do work between the panel and the meter that would justify the cost of installing an extra weather- and vandal-proof switch outside? Sure it would be nice now if it was already in place, but are you planning on replacing/upgrading/moving your main panel again in the next, 5, 10, 20 years? At the end of the day, it's your money to burn, should you choose to do so.. I'm sure the electricians/suppliers/inspectors/etc won't have a problem taking it ;)
    – gregmac
    Mar 12 '15 at 16:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.