We have very rocky land and need to dig about 3 feet (by 2 feet) next to the garage/home wall. Is there a special equipment that will do the job without damaging the home's walls? Thanks


It's called a pick and a shovel. Should take an hour or three. I own a backhoe - I don't try to get close to my foundation walls with it - that's inviting disaster. P&S is also inexpensive and can get anywhere, unlike equipment.

If you mean "solid rock" the answer is a bit different, clarify if that's the case. For rocky dirt (or any dirt) loosen with pick (and/or digging bar), remove with shovel.

pick/mattock digging bar shovel

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.