I have a gas oven which has given up the ghost and I want to replace it with an electric pyrolitic oven.

Do I need a separate circuit for the new oven, or can I put it on the normal ring main.?

The new oven says it needs a "hard wired" connection. What's that?

  • 2
    DON'T DO IT MAN! gas ovens are way better (in my opinion). more efficient, better more even heat, faster boil times. Stay with gas, or you'll probably regret it later.
    – Tester101
    May 6, 2011 at 12:14
  • 3
    Most cooks prefer electric ovens, gas ranges.
    – DA01
    May 6, 2011 at 13:21
  • Not to mention, you can use them when the power goes out.
    – Doresoom
    May 6, 2011 at 13:22
  • The phrase "ring main" makes me think you're in the UK, correct? May 7, 2011 at 21:17
  • I'm in Australian. 240V, 50HZ AC
    – WOPR
    May 11, 2011 at 1:42

1 Answer 1


You need a separate circuit for the oven as it draws a much greater current than the normal ring main.

This site explains the load a cooker draws.

A 240 V domestic cooker has the following connected loads:

top oven 1.5 kW
main oven 2.5 kW
grill 2.0kw
four hotplates 2.0 kW each

This results in a nearly 30A load which will clearly overload the regular 13A ring main.

A hard wired connection is where the connection is permanent and not through a normal plug and socket.

  • 1
    Usually though the cooker will only be able to run the oven OR grill/broiler at the same time - so often 20A. In europe (230V 13A) you can get stoves that do not need a separate power line BUT are set so that you can't use the oven and 2 large rings at the same time.
    – mgb
    May 6, 2011 at 15:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.