enter image description hereMy fireplace is manufactured by arrowhead brass. Its a gas fireplace. There's a part to the left outside of the fireplace curtain and it's this iron black handle thing as seen in the picture. It moves up, then left and stays there.

  • Probably a damper. With any luck someone who knows your fireplace model will happen along and confirm or refute that. Or you could light some incense (or other small smoke source, it's usually the handiest in the "safe" line) and put it in the fireplace (fireplace unlit) to see if you can verify a change in smoke behavior consistent with it being a damper. – Ecnerwal Feb 25 '15 at 21:48
  • I don't think code allows dampers in gas fireplaces. – DA01 Feb 26 '15 at 0:58
  • Must have at some point, as we had another question where someone had left it closed and run the gas fire. Of course, if there is one it should somehow be tied into the gas system so the fire can't be lit if it's closed, but.... – Ecnerwal Feb 26 '15 at 1:32
  • My bet would be that it's meant to control the air intake damper. If you look around outside near the fireplace, you may see a vent near the side or bottom. though you may not, as this feature may not be connected. The fresh air intake is meant to allow outdoor air (or non-conditioned air) to be used for combustion, to prevent conditioned air from your home being used. Whether or not it's hooked up depends on the installation. I'm not familiar with your model, so I'm not sure which way is open/closed. You should check the owners manual, or contact the manufacturer. – Tester101 Feb 26 '15 at 11:16
  • This is not to be confused with the flue damper, which would be near the top of the firebox. – Tester101 Feb 26 '15 at 11:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.