My Honeywell thermostat just broke. I want to get a new one and install it myself but I don't know whether to get a 24V model or a 120-240v model. There is no indication of this on the one I have. How do I tell?

  • I'd poke about with a suitably rated multimeter. – RedGrittyBrick Feb 24 '15 at 10:34

How thick are the wires connected to the thermostat?

24V wiring will be small gauge, usually 22-18 AWG. It's commonly used for forced air, hot water, and similar systems.

120/240V thermostats will typically use 14-10 AWG, and are commonly used for electric baseboard heaters.

  • Also if you have baseboard electric heat it will be 120/240v and if you have a forced warm air system it will be 24v. – Mnc123 Feb 24 '15 at 1:48
  • 1
    @Mnc123 That's what I said. – Tester101 Feb 24 '15 at 2:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.