How do I re-point an outside wall? What tools and techniques should be employed?
You may want to be a bit more specific with your question. But, in general, the tools would be various masonry trowels...specifically one for tuckpointing, a joint striker (to strike the mortar if you want to indent it) and a wire brush.
How to do it? Well, a quick Google should show you plenty of tutorials, but basically you:
- Chisel/grind out as much loose mortar as you can
- Mix new mortar (ideally mortar rated for the particular brick you are using)
- Insert mortar (either via the tuckpointing trowel, or you can use the 'icing bag' technique)
- let dry a little bit, strike the joints
- let dry a little bit more, run a wire brush over the brick to clean up an extra