enter image description hereI own a home that was built in 1959. I am getting ready to start a full remodel on the kitchen. I plan on widening the door way..etc... I cut out a small test area of the wall,and the material was 1" thick. I am almost positive it is not drywall. Any idea what material it might be?

  • What is the material on the underside? Can't tell from the picture if it is a heavy paper or wood slat.
    – diceless
    Jan 23, 2015 at 22:34
  • Its a brown paper..this piece was nailed to a stud
    – spike
    Jan 23, 2015 at 23:37

2 Answers 2


Most likely lath and plaster.


All the homes built after the war were either plaster and lath or gypsum plaster boards. They were like 48 x 16 and were applied like drywall boards then skim coated over the top. Be careful though: sometimes the compound contained asbestos.

  • Sometimes (as in our 1948 house), the skim coat is multilayered. We've got gypsum plaster boards + about 1 inch of a coarse cement-like substance + skim coat of finish plaster. The middle cement-like layer also has a ton of what looks like horse hair in it. The OP's wall reminds me of ours. Mar 1, 2016 at 21:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.