I recently had to partially rip out the dry wall and insulation from an inside wall that joins to the garage. The outside wall had a styrofoam layer to it. My tape measure says it's 1 inch thick. Is use of styrofoam in this manner normal? I suspect it's foamular, or something similar. I looked at home depot and they don't carry it in 1 inch thick. It's 1/2, 3/4, or 2'. Is this the right stuff? I can't find full sheets of this anywhere, only 2x2.

1 Answer 1


No, putting rigid foam panels between studs is not normal and not a particularly performant or cost-effective way to install rigid foam. There's no reason to replace it. If you want a really nice wall stack-up when it's time to repair the damage, fill the stud cavities with Roxul mineral wool batts (may be a special order, but worth it since it's so much better than fiberglass batts), cover the entire wall--studs and all--with 1+ inches of rigid foam or rigid mineral wool (the more the better), and then apply 5/8" fire-rated drywall over that.

My local Home Depot carries 4x8 sheets of foam, but if yours doesn't, try Lowes, Menards, or a local lumber yard or building materials supply shop.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.