I am trying to hook up the ice maker for an old Frigidaire fridge, but there is no line running out of the back. When I opened the access panel I found the water valve but unlike newer water valves there is a screw on port that is about an inch wide. Does anyone know what to do?

enter image description here

  • 2
    Looks like you'll need an adapter to convert this back to 1/4" compression. Guessing someone took off one piece too many when the water line was previously disconnected.
    – BMitch
    Commented Jan 14, 2015 at 16:09

1 Answer 1


I would use a 90 FPT (female pipe thread) by compression fitting (or build an equivalent from an elbow and a compression adapter), since it looks kinda cramped right there:

FPT 90 by compression

Then some 3/8" or 1/4" flexible copper or poly tubing to hook it in (1/4" is most commonly used with fridges).

Don't use a saddle valve: they are terrible (eg: What can I do about a saddle valve that won't turn on?). Instead, hook it into the source water with a tee and another compression fitting. You'll also need a valve: there are valves that have a compression fitting on one side, and sweat, pex, FPT, MPT, etc on the other; or you can go for a compression x compression valve that can go anywhere inline on the flex tubing):

sweat x compression ball valve compression x compression fitting ball valve

Which is best depends on the layout and accessibility. It can be pretty handy to have a shut-off valve behind the fridge, so in case something leaks/breaks you don't have to run to the basement to hunt for a valve somewhere, but at the same time, I wouldn't personally hook up a line using a compression fitting without a valve immediately upstream. Nothing is wrong with two valves of course (other than cost).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.