Australian 240v power supply.
Worked fine without incident for 5 years. One day I plugged washing machine into a plug adapter with no ground connection between the washing machine plug and the power outlet. (so it just has live and neutral connections). I received what felt like a 100 to 240v shock from the metal drum of the washing machine.
Putting my proximity voltage detector within 40cm of the unit resulted in it beeping (it usually needs to be within 1cm to detect anything.)
My question is: does this mean that the washing machine drum was always energized, and the only thing saving me from being shocked was that the ground wire was safely attracting the current away from me when I touched the machine? Does this mean that the only possibility is that somewhere inside the machine a live wire is touching the metal exterior of the machine? or could it be another possibility?
My multimeter results: From ground on plug to washing machine drum is infinite to 120,000 ohms resistance (changes when drum rotates). To other parts of the metal chassis it shows 83 ohms resistance. These parts still cause the proximity detector to light up. The live, neutral on plug to drum and chassis show infinite resistance.
The live, neutral and ground prongs on the plug all show infinite resistance to each other.
My voltage testing screwdriver lights up when touched to the drum, chassis and internal ground wiring.
All other readings are infinite/blank, including voltage and current readings from drum and chassis while they are energized.
I don't understand how I can get shocks from the drum and chassis and they can set my proximity voltage alarm off, but no readings come through the multimeter. Is it because I can only rest the probes on the metal drum and the resistance is too high in my multimeter and the current is happier to flow through the chassis?
Note: the machine does not have to be turned on for the proximity meter to detect voltage in the drum.