I have these very strange 6 inch recessed lighting "cans" in my kitchen, that it hate. I pulled them apart thinking a could simply wire a new fixture, but I'm stymied. I purchased a Halo LED retrofit, but it seems to assume I have a standard bulb socket. Also, even if I just wired it to my existing can, I have two black wires and two white wires in each can. The new fixture only has one of each. What can I do here? I would sure appreciate some advice.

Thanks, Laura

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 1
    Is there a make and model number on the light bulb socket? How about on the fixture?
    – wallyk
    Jan 12 '15 at 6:15

I believe that the electrical connection you are seeing is from the ballast ( the thing that Makes the fluorescent tube light) that is wired into the other metal box part of the Can. You would need to remove that ballast to put in another type of light in. It would be in the little panel that opens up that I can see in the 2nd Picture. In that box there should be the main electrical wire that is feeding the ballast then the ballast has 4 wires coming out. You would want to remove it and then have a White and Black go back though that flex. Though your stumbling block there might be how to mount the new LED Trim to the Existing housing.

Do you have room in the attic to see the Cans? It might be easier to replace the can from the Attic with a new Can (they are less then $10)

  • I agree on replacement if at all possible.
    – mikeytown2
    Jan 12 '15 at 4:33
  • Thanks for the info. That is what I suspected. Unfortunately there is no access above the lights. The lights are housed in a dropped area and out bedroom (with 200 yr old hardwood floors) is located above. If I had an electrician come out, do you think they could replace them as you described above? Or are they going to tell me that they'd have to open up the whole ceiling?
    – Laura
    Jan 13 '15 at 1:46
  • Its hard to say. If you can find a LED trim that you like and you can attach it to the existing housing, then sure. You can do as I mentioned and remove the ballast and rewire the LED trim into the existing. Did you open up the little metal box? There is a tab at the top that releases the little door. Take a picture of what is inside.
    – scooter133
    Jan 13 '15 at 15:19
  • Maybe something like this fixture
    – scooter133
    Jan 13 '15 at 15:39

Those fixtures cannot be converted or changed. They are proprietary CFL fixtures in every way; sockets, wiring, ballast. Lightolier brand BTW.

Your only option is to replace the entire fixture.

  • That's right. They are Lightolier but I couldn't find a model number.
    – Laura
    Jan 13 '15 at 1:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.