Bought a Ryboi D42 3/8" drill.

A bit of confusion first, when it states it's a 3/8" is that saying the diameter or circumference of the drill hole is 3/8"? or something else?

This drill is very good for it's price but I don't know what to do for bits and other extensions. Do I have to buy specialized parts/bits from Ryboi or can I use any bit that fits the 3/8" diameter/circumference?


1 Answer 1


3/8 inch is the maximum shaft diameter that fits in the chuck. That doesn't mean you can't drill larger holes, but the part the drill chuck grips has to be this size or smaller. (Some higher-powered drills have half -inch chucks.)

Bits should be widely available -- home centers, hardware stores, most places that sell tools.

  • 1
    You can get bits that much larger that have the smaller shaft. You just want to be sure you are not over taxing your drill when you do this. If you buy a 1.25" Paddle bit for your Drill, just take it slow.
    – scooter133
    Commented Jan 12, 2015 at 4:32
  • Wonderful! so it doesn't have to be the Ryobi brand any 3/8" diameter drill bit/extensions will work? I guess that was a silly question but I didn't want to buy something and not have it work. Thank you Commented Jan 13, 2015 at 6:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.