First, how can I find the studs? My normal and good stud finders are mostly baffled. Second, what should I use to anchor into them? I'm thinking some sort of self-expanding toggle bolt?

  • a metal detector tuned for aluminum should work Dec 30, 2014 at 17:37
  • What is it you wish to attach? Dec 30, 2014 at 19:29
  • 1
    If you're not looking right at the studs what are you looking at? What are they behind that you are trying to locate them? Also, aluminum studs??? Are you sure they are not standard steel studs? Either way, regular fine thread drywall screws are all you need. Dec 30, 2014 at 21:49
  • Keep in mind that the aluminum studs should be place center on center every 16". This means the first stud in a wall is 15 1/4 inches to the center of the 2nd stud. This allows for butting the drywall to the wall. If this is done all your studs are exactly 16" inches to the center part to screw in. Dec 30, 2014 at 21:49

1 Answer 1


In North America, studs are usually installed 16" on centre, regardless of whether wood or metal studs are used. (Commercial interior walls may have different spacing.) If you can't find the stud with your stud finder, look for a plug or switch on the wall - they will be attached to one side of the stud and then start from there.

Just use normal fine-thread drywall screws. Drywall screws are available in coarse thread for wood studs, and fine thread for metal studs.

PS: Are you sure the studs are aluminum? All metals studs that I have seen are galvanized steel.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.