So before I make any cuts into my subfloor and wall I wanted to ask anyone with experience in this area on what my best course of action would be.

Basically, I would like to have the pipes you see coming out of the floor actually come out if the wall so when I get my new vanity I won't have to deal with hiding them/ having the vanity moved out about 6 inches. This is a second story bathroom so no access from below.

Main Questions

  1. Should I cut the floor and wall to get a better idea of what is in there? or

  2. Should I just contact a contractor/plumber to do this cause it's going to get to that point eventually?

Here's my setup:

enter image description here


If you have access to the space below this floor the best course of action would be to re-route these water pipes so that the riser portion comes right up under the center of the thickness of the wall that you show here. Then you would just be opening the drywall here to put elbows on the pipes to bring them out of the wall.

Opening the wall first from this upper side would be a good thing anyway because it looks like replacement of the wall board that was behing the old cabinet could be a good thing depending what it is that is causing the dark brown and black spots.

| improve this answer | |
  • My guess is those dark brown / black spots are where someone got wild with a torch when sweating those joints. – TX Turner Dec 24 '14 at 17:51
  • I should have mentioned that this is a second floor bathroom, so I can't access from underneath. Would that mean drilling a hole into the subfloor and jigsawing out the small portion where the pipes are? – KreepN Dec 24 '14 at 17:52
  • Is the first floor part of your property? If so then you do too have access. Do the pipes come down right through the lower level ceiling? In any case access may very well mean opening up the floor from above or the ceiling from below. – Michael Karas Dec 24 '14 at 17:56
  • @MichaelKaras It was more of a "I'd rather not tear up my ceiling downstairs to access these pipes." I guess I should mention this is my house. – KreepN Dec 24 '14 at 17:59
  • Well then you'll just have to take up the floor in the space that you are remodeling. There will just be no other way to re-route the pipes. You'll have the width of the floor joists to work within to over under the lower plate of the wall. Part of the problem may be that the original routing of the drain line may be in the way. – Michael Karas Dec 24 '14 at 18:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.