I am moving into a house, and the previous owner doesn't know the answer.
Up high in the corner of the garage, the drywall was cut out to install a small transformer. The input comes from a garage outlet, and the output goes down inside the garage wall.
I unplugged it and then tested it to determine that it does not power:
- Anything visible in the garage
- The lights on the front of the house
- The halogens (or anything else visible) in the adjacent room
- Anything visible on the side of the basement near the garage
- Broadband connection, sump, etc. (on the other side of the house)
- Any light or appliance we use in an ordinary day
What is it for? How might I figure it out (without cutting open the wall)?