my husband is trying to remove a kitchen sink at his parents house. it is a three piece faucet. the handle to turn the water on is being held on by some gold clamp. it is in the shape of a pac man with 5 or so holes it. what could thus be and how do we get it off

  • 1
    Can you post a picture? – DarthCaniac Dec 11 '14 at 20:59
  • I could not figure out how to post picture. do you know how? – seneira Dec 11 '14 at 21:01
  • 1
    Isn't there a nut holding that pac-man-washer on? Add pics with those little buttons at the top; click edit. – Mazura Dec 11 '14 at 21:03
  • @seneira Just take a picture with your smart phone and then edit your post, click the photo button, and browse to your picture! – DarthCaniac Dec 11 '14 at 21:03
  • unfortunately their is no area to add a photo I even downloaded the app. but their is no nut. this gold piece is actually attached to the sink – seneira Dec 11 '14 at 21:08

In my part of the world, typical tap clamps look like this

enter image description here

or this

enter image description here

Sometimes, things are obscured by a tap brace that you must remove.

enter image description here

The retaining nuts are not always easy to see in the darkness under a kitchen sink full of pipes and other obstructions.

But if you are removing the sink and tap and disposing of both, it doesn't matter.

You can undo the other end of the tap tailpipes and throw out the whole lot. In the worst case you can cut through the pipes (above the isolating valves obviously) with a suitable saw and tidy up later.

| improve this answer | |
  • it was close to this but at small holes in it with no visible screws – seneira Dec 14 '14 at 23:47

Just to add other options (and I'm not sure these fit your situation).

  1. Use a sink wrench: eg:


  1. Use a sawzall to cut the faucet off right above the sink (my neighbor used this method with a very difficult faucet).
| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    In my locale, these wrenches are referred to as a "basin wrench". – BMitch Dec 12 '14 at 14:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.