I have a screw that won't loosen completely it spins to the right and the left but ends up tightening again. I think it has a certain point where it'll just let go and be able to be pulled out but I don't know how to do that. It's not a regular screw that I've ever seen it has a hexagon deep inside but it has space for a regular Phillips screw driver and a flat head.

  • 2
    More information will be needed in order to be able to provide suggestions. A picture or two would be extremely helpful.
    – Michael Karas
    Dec 2, 2014 at 5:15

1 Answer 1


Is this screw part of a furniture assembly? What you describe sounded like a cam-lock nut, like can be seen here: http://www.swedishfurnitureparts.com/products/ikea-cam-lock-nut-103433 If that's it, then it won't actually retract, you just align it so the adjacent part can be removed. There should be a dot or indicator showing you which way it needs to be aligned.

  • 2
    It's pretty much an answer, though not clear if it's the right one until we get further info.
    – Ecnerwal
    Dec 2, 2014 at 13:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.