My dryer vent was setup to go thru the wall, up 2 stories, to my roof..... I have a major problem with this type of setup, as every couple of months, my dryer starts taking forever to dry. When I open the dryer door, I see lots of moisture on it. We then have to take off the duct from the wall connection and we find lots of wet lint that needs to be taken out. We run a blower thru the vent, from the bottom, hoping it will dry/clear out whatever is in the vent between the bottom floor and the roof. I'm thinking that with heavy rain, water must be getting in somehow from the roof vent. I can only imagine what's in there... I don't have access to the roof, as it is 2 stories up (I live in a townhouse). My question here is.. does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I have lived here over 20 years and am so fed up with this... I'm getting ready to just leave the duct behind the dryer with a panty hose on it, but have read this is not recommended. I live in Florida and already have lots of humidity. I appreciate any suggestions!
As a general rule, dryer vents should be cleaned out with a brush (attached to a long chain or rope or flexible rod so they can be run through the duct) every 6 months or so. If the arrangement of the vents in your townhouse community is such that you cannot easily do this yourself, you should take it up with whatever owners association or management company there is overseeing the site, since lint clogged dryer vents can be a source of fires, which should be a concern far beyond the impact on your dryer's performance.
If you applied something like a leaf blower to the bottom of the duct, you may have blown the cap on the top right off it, which would add to your problems.
Please note the following:
- Use the set screw to attach the brush to the first rod.
- Use a pair of pliers to tighten the connection and duct tape to hold the joints in the rods in place
- Turn on the dryer in air-dry mode to get some air flow going.
- Remove the louvers carefully from the vent cover.
- Rotate clockwise only, otherwise the rods will loosen. Add each rod to the system gradually.
I ended up using 7 rods for a total length of 21 feet. I got so much lint out of the vent that it could fill up two buckets.