My faucet recently broke, so I replaced it with a new faucet and sprayer. To put in the sprayer, we removed the dishwasher air gap - with predictable results. I've replaced the air gap in its hole. I'd still like to use the sprayer; however, I don't have any other holes of the right size.

I do have a 1/2" hole on the other side of the porcelain sink that was previously used for a filtered water faucet. How can I widen this hole to the 1-3/8" that I'll need for the sprayer?

  • 2
    Look under the sink where the hole is. Do you see any indication of a knockout? Most sinks have predetermined hole locations, where the material is weakened so that it can be "easily" popped out.
    – Tester101
    Nov 23, 2014 at 20:07
  • 1
    Are you sure it is porcelain? That is not common for kitchen sinks; usually enameled cast iron, enameled pressed sheet steel, or stainless. There are vitreous kitchen sinks but they are usually those "vintage" farmhouse sinks that have an apron front and mount on the wall. Nov 23, 2014 at 21:22
  • In the US, "porcelain" in the context of cooking pots or bathroom fittings often means a vitreous enamel coating over cast iron or steel.
    – keshlam
    Nov 24, 2014 at 5:17

1 Answer 1


I would recommend installing a faucet with an integral sprayer as a less complex alternative to modifying a porcelain fixture.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.