Builders made a hole in the worktop, the surface is a laminated wood. What is the correct way to repair this ?

enter image description here

  • It's a laminate over particle board, correct? – RockPaperLz- Mask it or Casket Nov 15 '14 at 3:01
  • 2
    Personally, I'd tell the builders that it's their responsibility to get it fixed. That's why they carry insurance... But if I had to do it myself, I think I'd try a dab of dark-colored epoxy. (Darker than the "wood" generally blends in better than lighter.) Texture wouldn't match, but it would at least seal the surface and make the ding less visible. – keshlam Nov 15 '14 at 4:36
  • We tried telling him but we noticed this only after he left and got paid he is ignoring us now. – BlueTrin Nov 15 '14 at 8:15
  • 1
    Pictures of the damage to your house along with details on who did it distributed around town in public places, etc...Chamber of Commerce, Better Business Bureau, anywhere he advertises... – Ecnerwal Nov 15 '14 at 15:47
  • Damage found after the movers have left is still damage caused by the movers, if you can show that it wasn't there before the movers came through. – keshlam Nov 15 '14 at 15:56

You can use "burn-in" or "fill" sticks to repair high pressure laminate as shown in this video.


  • Might not be as durable as an epoxy-ish solution, not sure how it would do in a moist environment like a kitchen counter, but burn-in is the traditional repair method for dings in fine furniture. That gets a +1 from me. – keshlam Nov 15 '14 at 15:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.