Builders made a hole in the worktop, the surface is a laminated wood. What is the correct way to repair this ?

enter image description here

  • It's a laminate over particle board, correct? Nov 15, 2014 at 3:01
  • 2
    Personally, I'd tell the builders that it's their responsibility to get it fixed. That's why they carry insurance... But if I had to do it myself, I think I'd try a dab of dark-colored epoxy. (Darker than the "wood" generally blends in better than lighter.) Texture wouldn't match, but it would at least seal the surface and make the ding less visible.
    – keshlam
    Nov 15, 2014 at 4:36
  • We tried telling him but we noticed this only after he left and got paid he is ignoring us now.
    – BlueTrin
    Nov 15, 2014 at 8:15
  • 1
    Pictures of the damage to your house along with details on who did it distributed around town in public places, etc...Chamber of Commerce, Better Business Bureau, anywhere he advertises...
    – Ecnerwal
    Nov 15, 2014 at 15:47
  • Damage found after the movers have left is still damage caused by the movers, if you can show that it wasn't there before the movers came through.
    – keshlam
    Nov 15, 2014 at 15:56

1 Answer 1


You can use "burn-in" or "fill" sticks to repair high pressure laminate as shown in this video.


  • Might not be as durable as an epoxy-ish solution, not sure how it would do in a moist environment like a kitchen counter, but burn-in is the traditional repair method for dings in fine furniture. That gets a +1 from me.
    – keshlam
    Nov 15, 2014 at 15:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.