I have a house build in the 1920's. I recently had a HVAC system installed, and i have to insulate my actic (Unfinished). The three bedrooms and one bath on the floor below have a center ceiling electric light, wired with the original knob and tube electric. What would be the best form of insulation around this area of the attic?

  • 2
    Best answer is to take the K&T out of service and rewire. (Just saw a piece where someone who liked the idea of using the old wires came up with a cute alternative: They replaced the bulbs with low-voltage lamps and re-routed the knob-and-tube wires to a transformer in the basement.)
    – keshlam
    Commented Nov 10, 2014 at 16:45

1 Answer 1


None. K&T was designed to have an air space around the wires. If you fill that space up with insulation--any kind of insulation--you're defeating that part of the design and causing a major fire hazard. Keshlam is right--the best solutions is to bite the bullet and have the house re-wired. Then you can install whatever kind of insulation you'd like, including in the walls, which right now are most likely empty and uninsulated--another consequence of K&T wiring.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.