For Halloween I want to haunt my toilets and have them make the noise heard here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S0zewtkqso

How can I do that?

I think I would just need to cut a slit in a rubber part of the fill valve.

1 Answer 1


Sounds like a pissed-off fill valve, acting like a reed. You'd have to get your hands on a crappy toilet, swap out the fill valve, and hope it has a similar failure; not recommended. (all puns intended)

  • I happen to have a spare toilet and fill valve. The one pictured in the video is a bog standard replacement valve around here (southern USA). What part am I looking for? A rubber seal that stops or starts the water flow at the top of the valve assembly?
    – Freiheit
    Oct 30, 2014 at 21:23
  • My job would be to make it not do that. I don't know how to make it do that. You could hook the extra valve to a temporary supply and fiddle with it to your hearts content; without going and messing with your installed toilet. I'd begin like you say and play with the seating of the stopper seal. -Advertise online for the free replacement of a screaming toilet valve. @Freiheit
    – Mazura
    Oct 30, 2014 at 21:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.