I have a switch in my bathroom that controls both the fan and the light, and also has an outlet. Can I get anything that has two switches (one for the light and fan) and also not lose the outlet without having to drill and make space for an additional box?


  • 1
    Are there separate wires in the switch box for the fan and light? If not, you'll have to run an additional wire/cable. I've never seen a GFCI double switch combination device, but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist. However, since it sounds like you're just looking for a device, this question may be closed as a "shop for me" type question. – Tester101 Oct 22 '14 at 10:40
  • Apologies. Didn't mean for this to be a shopping question. What I really would like to do is install separate switches for the light fixtures and fan but not lose the outlet. Here are pictures that I took of the receptacle itself. goo.gl/YZxPsB goo.gl/6vfwnz goo.gl/jtc52y goo.gl/DjJvpb – mjt117 Oct 22 '14 at 13:19
  • I can't tell from the photos how the switch connects to the light/fan. You should investigate how the two wires coming out of the top of the device are connected. It looks like one connects to the incoming feed and a pigtail to the receptacle, but I can't really see how the other one is connected. I do see a hint of a red wire in the back of the box, so there is hope that there's a separate wire for the light and the fan. – Tester101 Oct 22 '14 at 13:34
  • If you want to keep the outlet, the best thing you can do is replace the existing box with a double or triple box. You would have to cut into the tile a bit to make it happen, but with care you could do it without having to replace any of it. – Jason Hutchinson Oct 23 '14 at 15:26

As Reece notes, you may have to pull another wire but in fact they do make these.

Combination Double Switch/GFCI Outlet: (Amazon)

enter image description here


Unless there is already wiring to allow the separation of the fan and light from the same switch (ie. L/F===|sw|==[+]--), then no - you will need to run a second [+] wire from the switch to the fan or light because the current circuit would look like L/F>---|sw|---[+]--. If the circuit is like my first pictorial, then yes - it's just a matter of finding the right switch panel.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.