enter image description here What is the black stuff being applied in the last photo?

  • 3
    Black mortar/mortar with a black tint added.
    – Gunner
    Oct 22, 2014 at 3:59
  • Gunners got it, it is just black mortar, not an adhesive. It is available in a range of colors at masonry supply stores, usually NOT at the big box stores...
    – Jack
    Oct 22, 2014 at 5:48
  • Text in your posted image says it: "pointing mortar for bricks."
    – alt
    Oct 22, 2014 at 15:34
  • @Gunner You should make that the answer.
    – John
    Oct 23, 2014 at 7:28

1 Answer 1


It is just black mortar. They sell mortar in many different colors along with powdered coloring you can add to make just about any color you want.

Mortar is used between brick and block to seal the joint from the elements, and to lock the bricks together (among other things). In the picture above, it is not used to lock the bricks together or weatherproof the joints but is used for aesthetics by giving the final product a nice contrast between the red brick and black mortar.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.