We've accidentally managed to break the glass above our front door, by letting the door slam. I'd like to match the glass replacement, so it matches next door. I have no idea what the pattern is called, and don't know where to look to find a match.

We've had a glass fitter around to quote, who suggested that he had not seen this style and that it is likely not made any longer.

Does anyone know the name of the pattern or could possibly tell me of any good places / sites to look for old glass patterns?

antique frosted glass enter image description here

  • It seems like modern styles come in a limited number of variations. I'm hoping that was the case with old styles otherwise the possibilities could be endless!
    – gb2d
    Oct 16 '14 at 19:22
  • It's muranese very rare pattern
    – user61413
    Oct 16 '16 at 13:15

I found this site which lists many different styles of textured glass.

I think the particular one you had is somewhat close to the Florentine Wissmach on that site.

enter image description here

As for the best site to search, I'd say google image search, honestly. https://www.google.com/search?q=textured+glass+window&source=lnms&tbm=isch

  • 2
    Thank you so much. That is the exact pattern. I had been looking under Google under 'frosted glass'. Seems that textured is a more appropriate keyword. Now to see where I can buy some!
    – gb2d
    Oct 20 '14 at 6:50
  • 2
    And have now found a supplier for the replacement - note this is also known as 'Muranese' creativeglassguild.co.uk/prod/muranese-clear
    – gb2d
    Oct 20 '14 at 9:46

This glass pattern is "Muranese' and was first produced circa 1890. Designed by the Glasgow Plate Glass Company (Murano St in Glasgow), later acquired by Chance Brothers of Birmingham. Muranese was the most popular of all the Victorian 'fancy glass' designs and was produced by many companies around the world. The pattern came in a small, medium and large variations and every tint possible. 1894 trade brochure. enter image description here

Art glass suppliers offer similar reproduction patterns, often named Florentine. Florentine was actually a similar pattern from the USA, dating back to circa 1895. Whilst similar to Muranese, Florentine has a less dense floral cluster, with banding (parallel lines) incorporated.enter image description here

I have written several in-depth articles on Victorian & Edwardian glass. For more images of Muranese and florentine - https://sashwindowspecialist.com/blog/history-patterned-window-glass/

  • Mind disclosing your affiliation with the link (if you have one that is, if you aren't affiliated with it that's OK)? Jan 10 at 0:55
  • 1
    @ThreePhaseEel "I have written" appears to be intended as disclosure of affiliation. While you're correct that it's not 100% clear, as the two sentences in the last paragraph are separate, I certainly took the first sentence as intending to indicate ownership of the blog.
    – Makyen
    Jan 10 at 1:04
  • There is already an accepted answer to the OP's question with all the above information except for the history lesson.
    – JACK
    Jan 10 at 3:23
  • 4
    Yes I wrote the blog in the link, I am not trying to hide anything here. Nor does the link try to sell you old glass, that's simply not the business we are in, This is an information only blog post that contains unique information that you wont find anywhere else. Yes its a history lesson but some people value the extra information.
    – Si Free
    Jan 10 at 10:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.