I have a single gang in wall outlet in my basement. I would like to adapt it into surface mount EMT conduit to get an outlet at a different location. Ideally I would be able to keep a plug at the current location, but its not critical.

Once site I found online said to remove the old in-wall box, patch the drywall, and install a new surface mount box.

Is there a simpler way, possibly by installing a face plate or new box on top of the existing box?

1 Answer 1


There are collar boxes available that have conduit KO's (knockouts). Just install one on top of the existing device box and run your conduit.

enter image description here

This one is even better as it has more volume:

enter image description here

Brand: Steel City, Part number:531511234UB

Here is a raised device cover to be used with the 4x4 box shown. They can be had in any number of different configurations.

enter image description here

  • The first two pictured are actually the desirable surface mount adapters if one wants to keep an outlet at the current location. The second one could support an added outlet or two if the appropriate cover plate with outlet cutouts is used.
    – Michael Karas
    Oct 12, 2014 at 4:24
  • 1
    True. A 1900, or 4x4, device cover (often called an industrial plate) is an extremely common items though. The problem with handy boxes (the smaller ones above) is their tiny size. Most times they are too small to compliantly do anything. This is why a 4x4 with a device cover is preferred. Oct 12, 2014 at 13:16
  • 1
    Example: garvinindustries.com/images/itemimages/G1938.jpg Edited answer also. Oct 12, 2014 at 13:18
  • 1
    You would need to calculate the number of conductors, times the volume rating for each, compared to the volume of the box. IMO this is not worth doing if you are going to use a larger box. The bottom line is to use a box that does not cramp all the wires you have, and the smaller "handy boxes" typically will do this. Oct 12, 2014 at 19:29
  • 1
    Then trimming the paneling back to around the box and using a proper box extender would be the solution to that. Oct 13, 2014 at 21:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.