Do I run 12-2 wire to a wall thermostat and heater off a 20 amp breaker? Does the black and white wire go to a double pole breaker?

  • 1
    Make sure you know whether you're using a line-voltage thermostat (which will directly turn the power on and off) or a low-voltage thermostat (which controls power indirectly via a relay). The wiring is very different for the two types. – Hank Oct 9 '14 at 3:29

It is safe to assume you mean 500 watt and not 500 amp.

Yes, you should run 12/2 cable from a double-pole 20A breaker to the thermostat and then from there to the heater. This is the easiest way to run this circuit. Be sure to re-mark the white wire to a "hot" color with tape or easier yet a permanent marker. Use a color like red, blue or black.

Be sure to use a double-pole line-voltage thermostat.

| improve this answer | |

500 amps is a pretty decent baseboard heater.

A 500 watt heater doesn't need 12/2 wire. 14/2 is fine. It's only pulling 2 amps. Yes, the black wire goes to one side of the 15 amp double-pole breaker and the white wire goes to the other side.

The separate thermostat will probably be a control rather than a power switch, this means small signal wire can be used instead if 14/2. Check the instructions, control voltage is a factor.

| improve this answer | |
  • The wire should be sized for the breaker, not for the load. So if you have it attached to a 20 amp breaker, you need 12 gauge wire, even if your heater will only draw 2 amps under normal operation. (If a 15 amp breaker is used, 14 gauge is fine.) – Ben Miller - Remember Monica Oct 9 '14 at 5:01
  • 1
    Also, it is common practice to use #12 for electric heat loads. They can add up fast. Sure, if it's just this one heater and nothing will ever be added 14/2 is fine, but as stated MUST be on a 15A breaker. – Speedy Petey Oct 9 '14 at 11:15
  • Also, what do you mean by the "control voltage"??? Line voltage electric heat uses line voltage at the thermostat, unless a special external low voltage control is used so that standard low-voltage thermostats can be used. White-Rogers makes such a control. – Speedy Petey Oct 9 '14 at 11:17
  • 'Control voltage' would be something like 12v going to the thermostat, just like your furnace. – paul Oct 12 '14 at 15:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.