My problem is that my door has a wide crack under it. It lets in insects and lets out the air or heat. I know you can use a foam seal but need something to go all around the door. I haven't tried any thing yet because I dont know what to start. Can anyone provide a suggestion for the method I should use?

2 Answers 2


You need to add a threshold to the door to seal under it. There a number of thresholds where you can then adjust the height to meet the bottom of the door. Around the other 3 sides you need to add weather stripping.


if you are not allowed to add anything to the door you can buy a long round cushion that you put in front of the door (or train your dog to do that :) )

If you are allowed to add something to the door you can install a sweep:

as found on google

  • That doesn't look like it would block air movement like a compressible gasket would.
    – iLikeDirt
    Commented Oct 1, 2014 at 19:34
  • A brush-style sweep does help reduce airflow, though it isn't a gasketed seal. There are variants which have multiple plastic ridges or other protrusions that attempt to achieve a better seal; I'm not sure whether they actually work significantly better.
    – keshlam
    Commented Oct 1, 2014 at 20:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.