I got an power strip from IKEA around 12 months back. I used it for at my desk with the laptop, pc, printer and light plugged in simultaneously. Now I discovered when I was moving that there's a burn mark midway covering around a sixth of the circumference and around 0.5 cm long. There's clearly heating since it's deformed/bent but it's hard to judge the extent of the damage.

  • Since it's only a year old, is it reasonable to go back to IKEA and ask for a replacement?
  • Could the fact that I used the extension cord on a non-earthed wall socket have contributed to the problem (old dutch houses just don't come with them...) and if so, I am liable to see this problem again?
  • Is it safe to continue using this one?

pic http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/images/products/koppla-contactdoos-schakelaar--contact__0293166_PE425719_S4.JPG

  • I've had something like this happen with a mouse USB cord due to external heating (it was a portion that was near the vent output of the PC) - Was it an actual burn mark (with scorching/melting), or was the insulation just discolored and brittle?
    – Random832
    Commented Mar 19, 2015 at 15:33
  • I had 3 larger size power strips from Ikea, none of them had a burn mark, but every now and them, when plugging something it, there'd be a hiss or pop ... I was lazy and never tossed them - even though I completely agree with @diceless comment below. Luckily in the 10 years this was occurring nothing happened. Upon a recent move, I tossed them and am super thankful that I finally got those pieces of crap out of my life. Not sure I really trust such items to an Ikea branding product.
    – cgmckeever
    Commented Apr 30, 2019 at 22:48

1 Answer 1


Don't risk your life over a power strip. Throw it away and get a new one.

You can try taking it back and Ikea is pretty good with customer service. But I personally wouldn't be trusting an Ikea power strip with my computer equipment. I would get something a little more heavy duty and has surge protection.

Also is your printer laser or ink jet? If laser you should be treating that device as a small appliance. IE, no power strip/extension cords as they tend to draw high current during the printing processes.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.