Looking to add a 20 amp receptacle on the outside of my house, on a separate circuit. I don't know what NEC codes to look out for. It will be on the outside wall of the house, if that helps. The code I am familiar with is using the correct gauge for a 20 amp circuit.


For an outdoor 20 ampere circuit, you'll need a

  • 20 ampere breaker, obviously.
  • Minimum 12 AWG conductors.
  • GFCI protection either via a breaker, standalone device, or receptacle.
  • Weather-resistant type receptacle.
  • A weatherproof in-use receptacle cover (identified as "extra-duty").

If the box is not in the wall, you'll also need

  • A weatherproof enclosure.
  • Wet location rated protection of the wires via conduit, rated cable sheath, or other approved raceway.
  • Does LFMC count as Wet location rated protection, the house is brick so the box won't be in a wall.
    – MDMoore313
    Sep 8 '14 at 13:22
  • Liquidtight Flexible Metal Conduit (Type LFMC) can be used in a wet location. However, it cannot be used where subject to physical damage. If it would be in danger from a weed whacker, you might not want to use it. It shouldn't be a problem, but you'll also want to make sure it's not exposed to temperatures in excess of the rating (-30°C (-22°F) - 80°C (176°F)).
    – Tester101
    Sep 8 '14 at 13:39
  • so, are we talking sch 80 PVC then? weed wacker damage is possible, though unlikely lol.
    – MDMoore313
    Sep 8 '14 at 14:13
  • If you have LFMC laying around, I'd check with the local building department to see what they think. I can't see where you're installing it, so I can't say for sure from here.
    – Tester101
    Sep 8 '14 at 14:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.