Looking to add a 20 amp receptacle on the outside of my house, on a separate circuit. I don't know what NEC codes to look out for. It will be on the outside wall of the house, if that helps. The code I am familiar with is using the correct gauge for a 20 amp circuit.
For an outdoor 20 ampere circuit, you'll need a
- 20 ampere breaker, obviously.
- Minimum 12 AWG conductors.
- GFCI protection either via a breaker, standalone device, or receptacle.
- Weather-resistant type receptacle.
- A weatherproof in-use receptacle cover (identified as "extra-duty").
If the box is not in the wall, you'll also need
- A weatherproof enclosure.
- Wet location rated protection of the wires via conduit, rated cable sheath, or other approved raceway.