I live in Hillsborough, North Carolina. I am redoing a bedroom and would like to install a floor length window but I'm not sure if it will meet the regulations. The width is 31.5 inches and the length would be about 72 inches

closed as unclear what you're asking by Tester101 Sep 3 '14 at 15:24

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • The window is in the wall, right? I understand a window that is 31.5" wide, but I'm not sure what a window 72" long looks like? Measurements on a wall would be width, height, and maybe thickness. – Tester101 Sep 3 '14 at 15:21
  • Without knowing more about the structure of the building (how many floors for starters), it's impossible to say for sure if you can do what you want easily. I'm sure it's possible, but it would take a structural engineer on site to be able to tell you exactly how to do it. – Tester101 Sep 3 '14 at 15:24

It used to be that such a window had to have tempered safety glass, now:

2006 IRC:

R613.2 Window Sills. In dwelling units, where the opening of an operable window is located more than 72 inches above the finished grade or surface below, the lowest part of the clear opening of the window shall be a minimum of 24 inches above the finished floor of the room in which the window is located. Glazing between the floor and 24 inches shall be fixed or have openings through which a 4-inch-diameter sphere cannot pass.

So, no part of the window that actually opens can be lower than 24" unless barricaded similar to balcony railings (4" dia. ball test). Fixed glazing is allowed but must be tempered safety glass if extending below 18" height on the wall. It is easy to order your windows with tempered glass, it just costs a bit more. Check with your window supplier as they will be familiar with the code requirements and any additional restrictions in your area.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.