As the title says. I need to remove this type of screw, but don't know what tool to use.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Does anyone know where can I get the screwdriver for this?

  • What is the device that this is on? Make/model as well. Aug 23, 2014 at 3:53
  • 1
    It's hard to tell from the picture, is the square part projecting out of or depressed into the surrounding material?
    – user23534
    Aug 23, 2014 at 4:58
  • 2
    Looks like a proprietary design, used to prevent unauthorized access. You'll likely have to make your own tool, buy/steal one from the manufacturer, or have a dealer/repair shop remove it for you.
    – Tester101
    Aug 23, 2014 at 12:35
  • 1
    If squarish part is inset, a properly sized screwdriver, standard tip, will jam in there and allow removal. If part is protruding then it is needlenose time. Either way, replace the screws with something reasonable when you put the thing back together. You may have to go in again. Aug 23, 2014 at 13:52
  • 1
    That isn't #2 square drive? @Tester101
    – Mazura
    Sep 23, 2014 at 5:51

2 Answers 2


Looks like you need an 8-point socket. It is hard to tell the size from the picture but it looks small, you will probably need one in 1/4" drive. If you want a driver for it, you can get a 1/4" drive socket drive handle.

enter image description here enter image description here


It's called a safety torx bit. Torx has no pin in the middle.

  • That comment was made when a 3rd pic was here. Does it look like a star? If so my answer is correct. I zoomed top pic and I can't see it from that.
    – user86528
    Jun 8, 2018 at 2:19
  • 1
    That 3rd pic was an "answer" that was really a question about a different screw, for which you gave an answer. That "answer/question" has been deleted - I don't know if it was made into a separate question or not. Jun 8, 2018 at 2:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.