It looks like there was some kind of a cheese cloth placed on top of it before, but at this point it's been broken. I can't see the bottom of it, and I have no idea why it's there. Does anybody have an idea? I was going to go to the store to get another cheese cloth to place on top of it, but if I can just close it up I'd prefer doing that. But again, no idea what that is. It goes down in front of my house, and in my basement it looks like it goes to my pum[ pump? But it's hard to tell, because while there's a tube coming up from my sump pump, it seems to go up and east of my house. While the tube pictured above is going down on the south side of my house. So there would be have to be some bends and perhaps forks in the tubing for that to make sense.

Other than that, I have no idea what is beneath there. Has anybody seen this before?

Image Image

  • If you are not familiar with imgur, there's actually 3 images. (First, Second, Thrid) Aug 16, 2014 at 17:38
  • Could it be a clean out for the main drain from your house to the city sewer?
    – DJohnM
    Aug 16, 2014 at 22:32

1 Answer 1


What diameter?

From here it looks like a vent for a drywell or French drain. If it's about 4" (10cm) diameter, that'd add to my suspicion.

  • Yes it is 4 inches, give or take. What is a french drain? Should I try to fix that cheesecloth looking thing on top of it?
    – A O
    Aug 16, 2014 at 17:43
  • 4
    French drain - trench lined with gravel with a perforated drain tile/pipe down at the bottom to drain off excessive water or lower the water table around foundations. And yes, stuff should be kept from falling in and clogging it. This looks to be there because of a water ponding issue, and I'd use hardware cloth (metal mesh) for durability. Aug 16, 2014 at 17:49
  • @FiascoLabs What should I put on top of it to avoid clogging? Also, I looked into french drains, and they all look much shallower than mine. This drain looks really deep, is it definitely a french drain?
    – A O
    Aug 16, 2014 at 17:51
  • 2
    If it goes deep and is to intercept and keep water out of the basement, it would be called a curtain drain (just a lot deeper French drain, meant for more than just reducing surface water). Can you trace an outlet anywhere downhill from the wall it would protect? Aug 16, 2014 at 17:55
  • 1
    The outlet FL was referring to would be outdoors, six or more feet downhill from the "mystery pipe". It'd be the spot where a drain system would "daylight" (discharge drained water). Aug 16, 2014 at 19:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.