We have an old home and would like to keep with the period where possible. I have a marble vanity top with individual faucets for hot and cold rather than a single spigot for both. I can buy brand new replacement faucets that look exactly correct. Does anyone know if that is allowed by current plumbing code?


Plumbing code is generally unconcerned with the style of whatever fixture you choose to install, only that the fixture work properly and be installed properly.

| improve this answer | |

Standard bathroom faucets come in versions that have the faucet handles on 4" centers, 8" centers, or separate pieces that can be placed at any distance apart.

I have never heard of a jurisdiction whose building codes require a specific distance for handle centers. But to be certain, check with the local plumber who will be installing the fixture.

| improve this answer | |
  • The first part of your answer is true, but doesn't seem relevant to the question. – The Evil Greebo Jul 31 '14 at 16:06
  • 1
    The Q & A is meant to have relevance beyond the original OP. Thought it might help others. – bib Jul 31 '14 at 17:25

Plumbing code allows this. Styles are not covered under building codes, generally safety and quality are what building codes are after.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.