Blackhawk 47" chest from restorationhardware.com

I don't plan on making a chest of drawers but am interested in the techniques involved so I could apply them to other furniture.

EDIT: close up picture

  • 1
    I think you need a Robbie the Robot. – bib Jul 25 '14 at 18:01
  • It's probably just an aluminum skin over standard secondary-wood construction. If so, all you need is a way to cut and bend the aluminum pieces. Saw with metal-cutting blade would probably distort the metal less than tinsnips would. File and/or abrasives to de-burr (and probably slightly round over) the cut edges. A bending brake would help, but you can also just force the metal around a suitable form (possibly the wooden frame itself) -- I've seen that done with brass, though scoring the bend first helps. Whatever nails you consider adequately decorative to hold the aluminum in place. – keshlam Jul 25 '14 at 20:49

It appears that those are thin pieces of tin nailed to a wooden cabinet with brass tacks. I think it is quite cool actually, sort of steampunk.

To do it large scale you would be best served with a sheet metal shear (think of a heavy duty paper shear), a pinch roller (adjustable twin steel rollers mounted vertically which you spin with a handle whilst passing sheet metal between, to set a curved bend), and maybe a sheet metal "brake" (a sheet metal bender for straight bends as opposed to curves). Also various metal working tools: vise grips, awl, tin snips (straight, right-hand, left-hand), various files, ball-pene hammers, small anvil, etc.

You can buy some "DIY" sheet metal work contraptions that combine a roller, shear, and brake for fairly cheap. Check on e-bay.

| improve this answer | |
  • Screwed, not tacked; and the metal can't be too thin as the edges in the close ups do not appear to be razor sharp. Perhaps 12 to 14 gauge. – Wayfaring Stranger Aug 25 '14 at 13:39
  • @Wayfaring Stranger, my answer was posted prior to OP edit with close-up pic. I could not see the screw heads in the original pic. Looking carefully, I think the edges may actually be rolled over/folded to prevent sharp edges. – Jimmy Fix-it Aug 26 '14 at 1:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.