I have a european (Netherlands) light socket in my house that I would like to convert to a plug socket to accommodate an LED lighting strip. My builder says it won't work, but he's Polish, I'm English and we talk to each other in Dutch, so I think it might just be a communication problem. Some advice please?

  • 1
    Can you post an image of the socket? – bib Jul 21 '14 at 14:01

In the US you could buy a "Medium Base Polarized Socket Outlet Adapter" at any hardware store for a couple bucks.

I suppose both ends are different where you are, but perhaps the picture will be enough to convey the idea?

Medium Base Polarized Socket Outlet Adapter

  • I guess there are no smarts in this component beyond simply converting the connections - so replacing the light socket entirely should be ok too? – MarkNS Jul 21 '14 at 10:54
  • There are definitely no smarts to it -- nothing like a power transformer or microchip or anything. It's just a physical adaptor. I don't see why you couldn't do as you intend. I'm not an electrician tho. – AllInOne Jul 21 '14 at 19:19
  • 1
    The potential problem with replacing the light socket with an outlet is that there may not be a ground wire running to it. In many locales, it is illegal to install new, ungrounded electrical outlets. If there is a ground, then there's no problem replacing it. – Zhentar Jul 23 '14 at 14:41
  • 3
    The ground at the lamp fixture isn't brought to the bulb socket and isn't available to this adapter. You could kluge something by using a grounded-to-ungrounded adapter and running a wire from its ground lug to the fixture... but realistically, I just wouldn't plug anything into it that needed grounding. Double-insulation is an adequate alternative. – keshlam Sep 19 '14 at 2:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.