My neighbor found this metal tool in a box from his father’s workshop.

weird tool

It's a cube with all sorts and sizes of circles and half spheres on every edge.

What is it?

1 Answer 1


Die for creating sheetmetal hemispheres. There should be a set of punches with round ball ends somewhere in that mix, unless someone misused them for something else or lost them.

Doming Block and Punch Set is one term for the tool set. The die is also called a dapping block. You can find them at jewelry tool suppliers.

  • That’s the one! +1 for a specific product name I could look up. Jul 20, 2014 at 18:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.